Saturday, August 20, 2016

And Now, Back to Regular Programming

No one but us 50 plus year olds say that, do we? These technology twisted millennials have no idea what it was to have cartoons on Saturdays only and the entire TV broadcast system shut down for a State of the Union Address. Ah yes, good times.

Regular programming for Keith and I, is also in sight. Five weeks now into running two farms we're still...running, but not at warp speed. Still down in Chatsworth caring for livestock everyday, maintaining what we've mowed and cleaned and repaired, but the crisis mode is lifting. There were 27 head of cattle to be cared for when we assumed possession of our other farm, but now we are down to just nine. One calf (coming here for our 2018 beef supply) one milk cow (coming here to replace Puppette) four other milk cows (one sold and waiting for new owner to pick up) and three heifers (one bred, two unbred).

 A young farmer is coming to look at the three milk cows left and we hope he'll take all three. By the end of the week, all livestock will be gone from Chatsworth and we can begin cleaning out the barn there. In the meantime we continue to use the milk we get from there by feeding to our hogs and sharing with another farmer friend with pastured hogs.

Milk fed hogs make fantastic pork chops!






Up here on Poor Farm central I was able to enjoy some time this morning enjoying the peace and quiet. Comparatively speaking, our few critters here are easy to care for. The garden is overflowing with produce though and demanded attention. Finally, I got some tomatoes canned, pesto made and frozen, a cake baked and God willing, might even get supper made. Rain came in spurts but laundry was hung out in between cloud bursts. Last week we were so crazed, one load of laundry hung out for four days, washed three times by rain. And people pay good money for "rain scented" fabric softener. Cracks me up.


I also did what all we queer country folk do from time to time, I took pictures of my flowers. It's a silly ritual, the way we all think we have the most  beautiful cosmos of all, but it serves another purpose. It slows us down. Makes us appreciate that which is blooming its fool head off, right in front of our eyes.




Flowers are full of silver linings. Especially those morning glories blooming on the trellis friend Jay made for my birthday back in June. It's a keen place for coffee or tea. That's my aunt Bernie's old 1978 dial phone on the table, just in case I feel like calling her on the other side.

















17 comments:

  1. So pleased to hear that things are calming down a bit for you and that you have managed to get some canning done, I'm now on our Victoria plums, some for winter fruit and some for chutney. I also photograph flowers to remind me what beauty there is around us, and to be able to look back and see what was blooming and when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria plums! They sound so elegant and yummy. I have so far to go in my canning skills, time to visit YOUR blog again.

      Delete
  2. From one 50+ to another, im smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a 40 year old, and I remember cartoons on Saturday morning. Merry Melodies, was one of them. I think we got afternoon children's programs too. I can't remember watching them in the mornings though, like I do with my children now.

    Having so many cartoons to choose from on a Saturday, made the weekend feel special. Like it was made, just for kids. ;)

    Glad to hear you're getting through the hard yards, and its slowing down a bit. I love to watch my flowers too. Even the ones which aren't so showy, because there's always bee action to be had. I like your marigolds, leading up to the Grain Bin House. A lovely procession. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marigolds are grand but I planted them to close to the sidewalk, we have but two inches to walk on!

      Delete
  4. I'm still waiting for my glut of Tomatoes. I need to get bottling, but they're being reticent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reticent. That's why I like you Cro, you bring real class to this blog.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the worst is over & you may be able to return once more to the Poor Farm, which is beginning to look Richer than you thought. I wish I could say I'm canning tomatoes but I'm not. I can buy them cheaper in the can when there's only me to cook for. I am saving myself for pickles & chutney in small jars instead. By the way, my strawberries are having a second crop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "saving myself for pickles and chutney." Love that. I sadly didn't save myself for anyone, let alone a veggie, even though I did date a few.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed our Sunday morning visit with you and Keith. The walk around the farm was educational and we appreciate you both taking the time out of your busy schedule to show us around. By the way your hand made lavender soap is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too! So loving my pretty new hand towels. I needed some bright colors to make me smile.

      Delete
  8. Ah, the light at the end of the tunnel and what a delight after so much darkness. I hope the farmer takes all 3 ladies. I'm glad one lucky dear gets to come live with Mucca and the beef calf will enjoy a healthy (albeit) brief life at TPF. I can imagine you're both enjoying some deep cleansing breaths these days as the frantic winds down. I figured you were using the milk for the pigs and am happy to see them slurping it down.

    Love your vine covered sitting spot and nice to see all the flowers. Hope you are availing yourself to its shade and serenity. I'll be glad when things settle down there - I've been holding back on the wise-cracks far too long. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the wise cracks rip!!! We need some fun around here.

      Delete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.