Monday, September 4, 2017

The New Barn Reaches for the Sky

A three day weekend. What a blessing. Keith was home all three days and son Jason was also off from his job, so able to help. Sunday evening friend Jay came by and so by today-Monday-some very serious progress was made.

It's beginning to look like a barn!

Prior to starting on the trusses Keith shored up the walls with more purlins, constructed of old wood, new wood and gifted wood. Our oldest son is remodeling his home and gave us several 2 x 4's last week. When added to wood from the building we had dismantled, wood Keith had in storage and newly purchased wood we have a most eclectic building.

On Saturday we started on the roof trusses. Purchased new from Menards, 24 foot long at $103 each, they replace those destroyed when we hired help to take down the machine shed we purchased this past spring. While I lifted the trusses up high in the air, with a little help from a Kubota tractor, Keith and Jason maneuvered them in place with rope.

Ha, I say "rope". In reality they used hay twine because those two use it for everything. It's a miracle fiber they believe.



We did this the same way we put the posts in the ground, slid a long metal pole over the middle fork on the tractor hay spear and attached the truss by chains. Don't worry, I was not driving and taking photos at the same time, I was nervous enough just maneuvering that truss over the heads of two guys I loved very much.

I might also add when two of them were shouting directions to me at the same time, it got a little hairy. Or better yet, one is giving me hand signals while the other is yelling. The yelling was mandatory, the tractor is loud. The hand signals were optional and I'm still not sure they were all appropriate. Still, we got the job done and no one died. Goal met.

Once the truss was in place Keith or Jason would crawl up the side and nail it in place. We managed to get three trusses up on Sunday.





When Jay was able to work with us today he focused on the rafters between the trusses. He's an extremely height tolerate kind of guy. With Keith getting all the wood lined up and Jason cutting it to Jay's specifications, the three of them made short work of the days tasks.





I hid out in the kitchen making pear jam out of the box of pears Jay brought down from his place. And I made breakfast for everyone and lunch. I don't want you to think I was slacking off while the guys kept working. Around noon today they called me out to lift up the fourth truss but winds had picked up and it got a bit dicey as the truss floated forward, then back, then forward. We were all relieved when it was in place and nailed tight.

So tomorrow Keith is back to work at his off farm job, Jason goes back to the Angus farm he works at and Jay flies out of O'Hare for a two week vacation in Iceland and Copenhagen.

Me? I'll spend the day picking up the work site, pulling some nails, burning our wood pile, making bread  and just being the glamourous homesteader I am.





16 comments:

  1. Awesome progress!! Always great when you can have extra hands on site. Especially on big, and potentially dangerous builds. It means progress is quicker too. Looks really good thus far. It's really tall - are you going to build a hay loft, above?

    Also, just quickly, my comment to your last post, didn't get approved. With all your hard work lately, it probably got missed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grand job !
    A lot of heavy lifting for two men, but they've accomplished a good old fashioned barn raising :)
    As usual, the ladies get the pleasure of cleaning up the place....lol
    The can-do spirit is alive and well.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you are really living the life I would love but can't. Enjoy reading about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. For years Keith and I worked cery hard to supply organic foods for others, now I'll admit, it's nice to be doing it for ourselves. We do share bacon with family. Sometimes.

      Delete
  4. You ARE a glamorous homesteader! :) What a job, that barn is looking amazing! Btw, I noticed my comments the last few posts disappeared, I hope they're not going to spam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! you need like 20 amish guys for a day! it's looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was praying all weekend! Whew! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every one of your posts leaves me feeling speechless Donna! So in the absence of finding anything useful to say, thanks for sharing your real life, no frills, days with us. I laugh, I nod in agreement, and I leave your page feeling enriched by your words. :) XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is looking like a barn, almost. What a lot of work was done on Labor Day weekend, quite befitting the holiday's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, if we follow that Holiday trend, we should have lots to be Thankful for by turkey day. Like maybe walls!

      Delete
  9. That is so impressive! Ours looks like overkill by comparison, mostly I guess because we're going for a smaller size but with those timbers. You've got the experience to know what you truly need though. We're still guessing, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have the experience but less time and no money. Years ago we had the money, no time at all and little experience. Just once I'd like to have all three at the same time!

      Delete
  10. Catching up on the doings in your neck of the woods. Wow, love love love the new barn! Looking forward to seeing the finished building. You and Keith have done an excellent job of pulling all the details together to make a yourselves a wonderful farm. Job Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I am envious of proper infrastructure. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing. It looks so tall! You guys really are an inspiration. Not that I want or need to build a barn, but maybe I can translate the inspiration into doing some of the jobs I do need to get to.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.