Tuesday, December 12, 2017

In the Gutter






More barn progress, which is good because it's been mighty cold here in Illinois the last few days. Tonight it will drop to about 19 degrees F and snow is predicted later this week. 

This weeks big deal so far was putting together stalls for the horse (one stall) and the steer and little heifer (sharing the other stall). Our cow Liz will remain in her separate 3 sided combo shed and milking arena until we can afford to run electricity to the new barn and set up the pressure tank needed for our milking equipment. 

One day we'll have all the animals under one roof, but for now we at least have shelter for those who didn't have much before. 

Additional
progress was getting up gutters on the north side of the barn. Because we do not have the funds for scaffolding or a man lift (don't we WISH!) Keith has jimmy rigged a raised platform using our Kubota tractor.

By placing long pipes on the fork tines and spearing them through the openings of a wood pallet, he's made himself a small platform that can be raised up and down as he needs it. He placed a short ladder on top of that platform in order to reach the barn roof. Of course he must keep another taller ladder close by in order to get off the platform and back down to the tractor so he can move the tractor and raise or lower the platform for the next task and then move the ladder to that new spot so he can climb back up onto the platform. Whew...wears me out just writing about it. 



All of this explains why Keith has never had a weight problem.

My role in the gutter attachment process was to climb up a third ladder,  raise my end of the gutter and hold it against the barn while Keith moved his way towards me securing the gutter just below the  roof. Since the gutters were not heavy I was able to hold my end with one hand and take a few pictures with my other hand. 


Keith is now standing where I was when I was taking pictures

Good thing I had my smart phone because it was a pretty dumb maneuver while I was 16 feet up in the air. Still, I enjoyed the view of the animal's new stalls.


Horse stall on left with rubber mats over the crushed limestone
Steer and little heifer stall in middle with shredded paper
and straw bedding over limestone.


9 comments:

  1. No wonder he's fit...I wish I had that energy! The barn looks great, and congrats on doing your own gutters. That must have been a challenge. Stay warm Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rain, at the end of the day we're both nodding off in our chairs unable to watch an entire episode of "The Crown". So as we age our energy levels don't stay as high as long but when I compare him to other guys in their mid 50's...my husband certainly excels.

      Delete
  2. Ummm, I don't think that setup is OSHA approved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OSHA...they would indeed freak out if they saw our safety manuals...if we had manuals that is.

      Delete
  3. I hope you let one of the cows cut a ribbon, and smash a bottle of Coca Cola on the manger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ribbon cutting ceremony! That is fabulous. I think I'll schedule it for next summer. Will give you time to book your passage here Cro. Probably my oldest follower (not your age, but your length of time as blog follower) so you'll be guest of honor.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Will the clerestory remain open letting in light (and wind and snow?) or is there still a layer of wall to come, underneath the new gutters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now. We've already filled in some of the gaps with opaque polycarbonate panels, from our Chatsworth farm of course. Pics coming soon

      Delete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.