Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Our Garbage Gardens


 When we moved here April 2015 we tilled a small area by our feed shed and planted a few things. It did not produce well as the ground here was total junk, I was still in school full time and Keith was building our grain bin house.

Summer of 2016 went a bit better. The first garden was planted with popcorn and it produced well. We also tilled a second garden spot by our home but the soil was filled with clay. Some herbs grew and a few tomatoes but not much else except beans. Beans did very well. We ate a lot of beans that summer.

Summer of 2017 we tilled a third garden. This one was farther away from the grain bin house and the soil was easier to work with. We had a variety of veggies but the weeds got away from us as we were focused on building the new barn. (Excuses? You bet. We have tons of them). Garden number one was planted with tomatoes that failed, but we turned our broiler chickens into that area and they thrived. So what we lacked in canned tomatoes we made up for with chicken dinners. 

Present day. 

Garden number one by the feed shed is in its fourth year and the soil is rich and loamy. We added lots of organic material to it last summer and plan to fill it with sweet corn and popcorn. It's fenced in so no problems with chickens tearing up things. The few in the picture below are allowed in until we plant. Lots of worms to eat!

Garden Number One
For Popcorn and Sweet Corn
Two Weeks Ago 
Unplanted
Garden number two or "The Kitchen Garden" is the one just off our homes entry way and in its third year. It is still heavy with clay but after adding organic material to it in the way of straw, rotted hay, compost from the cows manure pile, and cardboard (!) it is now teaming with earthworms. I've expanded my herbs in this area and planted spinach, lettuce mixes, radishes, peas, cherry tomatoes, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cukes and flowers such as cosmos, zinnias, gladiolas, poppies, coreopsis, nasturtiums, iris, marigolds and sunflowers.

The Kitchen Garden Two Weeks Ago

I want COLOR this year! I also want to walk only a few feet to gather up salad and flower bouquet material for our home.

Garden number three is the Main Garden or Garbage Garden as I often refer to it. It has been planted with large tomatoes, beans, asparagus, onions, potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, garlic, rhubarb, beets, and peppers. 



It's the Garbage Garden (above) not because of its vegetable contents, but because of Keith's creative ways of protecting tender young transplants. This year he pulled out all the stops, as well as all the "inventory" he'd been saving in the decrepit house, including but not limited to: plastic boxes, plastic milk and juice cartons, antique bricks, wood boards, PVC pipe pieces, old foosball game rods, glass lamp shades and oil lamp globes. Average and arguably, saner folk, will cover their plants with lovely row covers of similar shape and size, but we are cheap here on The Poor Farm and so we use what is on hand. It is a functional, but untidy garden the first few weeks. 

Image result for Beautiful vegetable gardens with row covers
Not Our Garden
Our Garden
Our Garden 




As the plants grow and become more resistant to weather extremes, and hungry robins, the "inventory" will find it's way back to the decrepit house. How do I know this? Because Keith is the garbage collector and I am the garbage put away-er.

It's a team effort.



Definitely our garden


16 comments:

  1. Creative economics. That's how I see it. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have little "tents" made of leftover hardware cloth (it's a metal grid system that is very sturdy, but bendable) that I put over seedlings so they don't get eaten. The PVC parts are perfect!! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my husband pulls something out and I think "Now where was he keeping THAT?" I swear he has an underground storage tunnel somewhere.

      Delete
  3. Love it! If we ever met we could do a junk exchange. I use old wine bottles as markers to remind myself of where rows are and where plant types stop. They're all different colors and it kinda looks like a bar exploded but *I* think they look nice.
    When people who DON'T garden come over and see it? "WOW, You must drink a lot.... Of wine?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Serious gardeners do get it. We do what we have to do to keep the garden growing. Non gardeners just shake their heads. I'd love to see a pic of your wine bottle bottles in your garden. Have you ever done a post about it before?

      Delete
  4. That's dedication to making do if I've ever seen it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, a plant does not care if he is protected by the best products from Menards or last weeks trash. It's we humans (and I include myself) who get caught in with aesthetics. In the end the tomatoes will taste the same.

      Delete
  5. I love veg' gardens in all their forms (especially my own). Because we EAT the results, we take more care of them, and treat them with respect. It shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Love them. Sometimes I find myself singing out there. It's good we have no close neighbors

      Delete
  6. I love it all! So much potential. You do what I'd do if we were at our place full time. For now, with it being weekends, I have to not think so big and can only do things that are quick and easy to do for now. I see your wonderful spaces and see so much potential. Your gardens are going to be awesome, productive and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand. Years ago I worked full time and garden time was left to Keith along with all his other farm duties. We did not can or freeze and were lucky to eat fresh a few days a week and only in the summer. Now huge hunks of my day are in the garden, and because I'm home I have time to can. Good thing, not much money to do otherwise. :) Life, and gardens, are so seasonal!

      Delete
  7. Keith is very creative! Love it! I have to pipe up here, though, and declare that the excuses are valid. How do I know? Because we have them too! The shoe fits and I'm wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He most definitely is! And excuses are indeed needed. We've collected a long list ourselves.

      Delete
  8. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!Thanks for sharing.
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a large collection of 2L plastic bottles cut in half with Popsicle stick taped to the side to anchor them to the ground. - perfect little green houses.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.