Saturday, June 16, 2018

If you love me, you'll trench me...

.


 ..or something like that.

Here it is, Father's Day weekend, and when others are bright enough to spend it boating, camping, cooking out, or just chilling out, what does my husband do?

He trenches the electrical line to my writing studio.
In 90 degree heat.

It wasn't all about me though. He also trenched the electrical line for our new (recycled) barn. We picked up our rental trencher ($150/day) early this am. Keith started at the barn and worked his way backwards, that's how the trencher runs, to the main electrical box for the farm.



Along the way he had to cross an old sidewalk. Trenching on either side, he'll dig out under the sidewalk by hand, run some conduit underneath the sidewalk and then thread the electrical wire through it.



Once he arrived at the main electrical box he switched direction in order to dig the trench to my studio. This time he had our driveway to contend with. You can see the farms power pole and box at the top of the trench. 




Then he worked his way down to my studio.




Later tonight, when it cools off and tomorrow am before it heat up again, we'll unroll the big spool of electrical wire (an anniversary gift from friend Jay) and thread it into the trenched ditches.

For the last year and a half, since we moved my studio, our old retail farm store building, from the old farm to our new farm, I've used long drop cords to run a couple of lights in there. Once the real wiring is installed, I'll have several outlets for lights and a tiny frig to keep cold drinks. We also have s small window AC unit we can put in for the really hot days I might be in there. Generally though, I write in the evenings and since the building is in a low shaded spot, I get decent breezes down there that keep the studio comfy cool.

Back in the barn, Keith will also be able to ditch all the drop cords he has been using to run his power tools as we continue work on the building. He'll also be able to install some overhead lights and we'll be able to move our freezers out of the icky 1856 house into the new barn.

Off the grid wise, we do supply all our own heat and we have a well for our water needs but Com Ed electricity is something we'll be dependent upon  At our age, late 50's, we know it's unlikely we'd live long enough to see a solar power investment pay off. We'll have to let the next generation who lives here, deal with that.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    I am a real person and have not been snorting anything. I just thought I would say "Hi and let you know that even though I don't comment often I always read and enjoy your posts.
    My hubby is out working in the heat and humidity as well today but the plan for tomorrow when it gets even hotter is to pull the weeds that are coming up in the edges of the pond and spread beach sand. Pond work is the best on those hot days! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love secret blog followers! Comments are always welcome but not required. I just told my hubby to get out of the sun and take a nap. There is indeed, always tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I guess blogs need a like button, just to let you know we are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok Anne. I've sensed you were there all along. I'm a psychic blogger.

      Delete
  3. Sis this great! This winter your novel!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which novel? I've started four. It's the finishing that gets me every time.

      Delete
  4. I admire all the hard work it takes to trench and run that electric line to your buildings, we did the same several years ago, after years of running extension cords, what a difference !
    Your farmer is a keeper :)
    Hugs
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the good thing about running your own lines, you really get excited when you flip a switch and there's LIGHT! And yes he is a keeper, through and through.

      Delete
  5. Relieved to hear, no underground pipes were harmed in the filming of this trench. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! We did bang up a few bricks and uncover some (more) metals junk. This place.

      Delete
  6. Aren't they great machines! I could use one here for a day to take water to my veg patch, and to the pool; it would save us having unsightly pipes all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Keith was trying to figure out a way to make a tunnel from the grain bin house to the barn so he avoid the elements in the winter.

      Delete
  7. I had to run water from the front faucet to the garden. Several hundred feet. I dug a trench by hand a few years ago. I vowed never again. We need electricity in the barn and shed. I am SO going to rent one of these machines when the time comes. It looks like a lifesaver.

    Love your little studio. It's so peaceful nestled amongst the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! By hand? An amazing feat for sure. This machine trenched about 400 feet total length, two foot deep and six inches wide in about three hours. We actually got more hot, tired and sweaty pulling all the electrical wire straight and laying it in the trench. It was fairly heavy.

      Delete
  8. Donna, looks like you will be able to burn some midnight oil in your writing garret - I mean your writing cabin ;-). It has been awhile since I posted - we moved yet again. Now in northern Mi - take a look at my new blog for the small explanation. Hugs to you and Keith

    www.thistleroseweaving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so going there right now! I do think of you every time I use one of your amazing hand towels which NEVER wear out!

      Delete
  9. Now that really is a sign of true love, Donna. Sure glad you both took a well deserved rest after the trenching and wire pulling and in such heat too! Your writing cabin will certainly be more inviting especially with an ac for hot days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. Flowers wilt, candy is extra weight but a TRENCH is real love!

      Delete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.