Sunday, February 10, 2019

Windows 4.0


 The weather has eased a tad, and in between snow and ice storms, fog and floods, Keith has managed to work on the barn build. Winter 2019 has been a serious challenge for outside work here.

Today he and our son Jason put in the four large, double pane windows (36" x 48") that Jason sourced for us for just $40 each. His boss was remodeling and no longer needed them. 

It took Keith many mornings to get the framing done, all with recycled wood form the 1868 house,  but tonight the two of them made this homesteader very happy. 





After the electrical is complete, the upper windows installed, the walls are finished, the doors put in place and the ceiling installed we'll have a room big enough for our large farm table, about 16 x 24 feet.  The room, not the table. 

The Upper Loft Area 
For Non-feed Storage
This means in good weather we can host larger groups of folks for meals, holiday get togethers and the like. It also means that we'll have a green house area since the windows face south.
A few tall metal racks, which I'll be looking for at future garage sales, will hold our garden seedlings and/or extend our growing season.

Up above this room will be our storage loft for non-feed items like soap making supplies, extra furniture, my canning supplies, seasonal clothing, our bee keeping items and all the stuff we need but not on a daily basis. We have discovered over the last four years that although small house living is nice in theory, it sucks for storing the items homesteaders need to function. 

I'm so excited to see these two rooms coming closer to completion!
The animals are too since the window installation will now slow the wind and snow from blowing into their areas just to the right of Keith in the picture below. 


 I see red geranium filled window boxes below those windows, don't you?


18 comments:

  1. This is a much needed extension of your living space. I know the problems of stroing bee keeping equipment, soaping and canning utensiles ect in a place, where you can get them when need arises, yet not bang your shins, or your head against them when they're not in use. Gongratulation on your new windows. I see multi-coloured tropaeolums in the flower-boxes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Storage in a small house. A royal pain. I've learned to go vertical but since I am horizontally challenged (5'1") I need stepstools and ladders which then need storage spaces themselves!

      Delete
  2. Donna, what a great wonderful idea. Great score on the windows! Thumbs up for the red geranium filled window boxes. I can see them too! Such a great place for a large kitchen-workshop and dining area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, when I saw the windows go in I said to Keith "I could live here!" I think I'm just missing the flat walls where things are easy to hang.

      Delete
  3. Good score on the windows! When I looked at the third picture, I couldn't tell what I was looking at. It seemed to me to be rows of church pews! But then I got it! Yes, to the red geraniums (and a little trailing ivy, or creeping jenny, too). -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like church pews! Soon we'll have floor boards down there (up there) and it'll look more like the loft it is meant to be.

      Delete
  4. wow...this is going to be great and so useful! i see red geraniums too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda funny how we sold our old large farmhouse with lots of rooms, built a tiny grain bin house and now we're building all these additional spaces-scattered all over our the place!

      Delete
  5. What a accomplishment in all that cold. Yes Geraniums. I just spoke to my husband the other day about a long table in the garden and have a Provence or Tuscan style dinner. The warm weather will come and you will have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have this great long table our son built for us (easily seat 12)that we used in our old farmhouse. We've been storing it the last four years. Can't wait to put it to use again.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing the things people change in their homes; just for the sake of it. Still, all the better for you. A great buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it when folks upgrade, we certainly benefit and so does our pocketbook.

      Delete
  7. That is going to be a well-used space, and windows for 40.00 a piece has to be the bargain of the century :)
    I can see the dinner guests sitting at the long wooden farmhouse table, laughing and dining, and good times ahead.
    You continue to amaze me with your visions.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. We are definitely visionaries, which is really just another way of saying delusional.

      Delete
  8. The barn build, is coming along nicely! I hear you on the storage front, for all those doodads, required for Do-it-yourselfers. Which is why in the original homesteading days, the barns were the biggest structure on the farm. The house, the smallest. You need far more equipment for doing things outside, than you need for keeping a house running, inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly need stuff to keep the inside running but in general those tools are much smaller than the barn equipment for sure.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the barn uodates, Donna, and yes I can see some nice red geranium window boxes for pops of color. Both you and the animals will be glad for the enclosures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially tonight! (Feb 24) We have 40 mph winds whipping us all into a frenzy. Will this winter ever end ?!?!

      Delete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.