It took some brains and even more muscles but we have our posts and beam up in the Grain Bin House and most importantly no one died. Being the mom , nurse and safety captain I was most concerned about the dying part and drove the other parties nuts with my constant need for structure and planning. "Ok now, who is doing what? What end goes up first? What are our positions? Who is responsible for getting ladders into place? What is the secret word to yell out if you think you are going to drop the beam on your head, or someone else's head? or my head? Is everyone up to date on their health and death insurance?"
But once again we barreled through and are now well on our way to a second floor. Before installation we purchased vintage, and I mean vintage, posts and a large 17 foot beam from a neighbor who deconstructs old barns. The main beam and the two supporting posts were all 8 by 8 and the floor joists we bought to complete the completely unmatched set were various lengths since nothing is very square in a new round home-to-be.
|Original tenon and mortise joint of the 100 year old beam|
|Long beam before trimming and sealing on benches.|
Keith sitting on two shorter supporting posts
I'm glad he did because a new gallon of polyurethane is over $30 and we did have to buy a couple gallons after using up all the old stuff we had. The wood, being old and dry sucked up that sealer like Dean Martin used to suck up gin.
With three strong sons to help, Colton, Jason and Kyle, there was first a lively discussion about the process. Dad had his method in mind (attaching the beam to the south wall post before lifting it onto the stair post) which was questioned by a son or two but he persevered.
|Large long heavy beam on left, shorter supporting|
post on right. Main contractor Keith: middle.
We tried his method and as I mentioned above; no one died. Thus his method was deemed a success. Working in 90 degree outside heat, with a heat index of about 100 in the metal building, we also managed to get the beam up without too much name calling; good natured teasing, yes, but nothing brutal.
The process went like this: Keith and I carried in the main support post ( a mere 150 pounds or so) and attached it to the stairs the day before.
|Although the stairs do take up a fair amount of floor space,|
underneath it we will keep our water heater, water softener and washing machine
|Sons Kyle and Jason bring in the big beam.|
The other two helpers did their share but went for drinks.
|The discussion on HOW to lift the beam up on top of the center post.|
Note: No sons were harmed in this process.
|Every job needs an overseer.|
|Colton, Jason and Keith discuss Christmas|
grab bag gift ideas.
|Beam in concrete floor notched into|
|Beam notched into top part of wall frame|
While Colton rammed the beam all Viking style from on top the
staircase the rest of us held steady and maneuvered to post into position.The beam is cut not to reach the wall on one side to allow for the stairs which will rise off the landing both to the right (into a small office) and to the left (to a small library.)
The whole concoction was further stabilized with a lag bolt from outside the GBH through the metal wall and into the post as well.
Soon we'll start putting in the floor joists and then...the second floor!
|Beam in place on the north side|
|Beam in place on the south side|