Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Spring Cleaning and Painting and Framing and Finishing


We moved here in April of 2015 and lived in a dinky 1978 Shasta Camper for six months while we built our Grain Bin House. Move in day was mid October that year .

I'd like to say we moved in because the Grain Bin was complete but the truth was, we had no heat or bathroom in the camper and we were tired of showering outside. Brrrr. The rooms in the Grain Bin were dry walled, the stairs were finished, and the bathroom was functioning but that was about it. That winter we painted walls and built our kitchen.

Then we got busy with the next spring's garden and since I was still in school full time, all the bits and bobs inside were left undone. Like framing two windows, putting floor trim up, patching holes left by the dry wallers (and us), hanging the rest of the lights and putting a door on our bedroom, to name just a few.

But last week we got crackin' and dished out a few bucks at our local Menards in order to finish what we started. Problem is-space. It's too cold to paint outside or work in Keith's unheated workshop in the old creepy house, so we had to spread out in our living area downstairs. The rocket mass stove and my laundry rack both were put to use as substitute sawhorses.




Quite the mess we made with all the window frames that had to be painted and then allowed to dry. Plus moving items out of the pantry in order to close in the stair case and paint it.

But, we are making progress on our to do list whether it looks like it or not. In Keith's regular fashion, he used all recycled wood for the window frames. Some came from a sister's kitchen remodel while other pieces came from the creepy house. A door frame there (easily 100 years old) became a new window frame here. Paint does work miracles.






We still have drapes to hang in the upstairs among other things but we expect to have it all done before the weather warms up.

As soon as THAT happens we're back working on the barn!

17 comments:

  1. Form chaos to better house - what's not to like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good to be getting some of the detail stuff accomplished.

      Delete
  2. Looks great! We moved in 6 years ago and still haven't gotten around to putting some of the trim back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the more you live with it, the less you see it.!

      Delete
  3. Hi Donna :) I do love how that window frame looks! Good luck with all the cleaning, I just finished the big job and I'm so relieved it's done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a spring cleaning kind of woman but with our rocket mass heater there is a fine dust that lands everywhere. But, with only 693 square feet to clean it shouldn't take too long.

      Delete
  4. A lovely piece of finishing carpentry, another job ticked off the list !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't just "tick". I take a big yellow marker and obliterate each task as we finish it. I love color.

      Delete
  5. It must feel great to get those jobs done! Boy are there a lot of undone jobs around here from our move a year and a half ago, plus sheds and buildings still holding items that we need to go through, at our relatives! My husband is going to tackle some of that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. With Spring looming out there and gardens begging to be planted soon we feel under the gun to wrap up these inside tasks. On the flip side they mostly bother only ME. I have yet to hear a guest say, "Sorry, I can't partake of coffee and cookies with you, your stairs aren't yet trimmed"

      Delete
  6. Stuff. How do we get so much? And still, as far as I know, I haven't seen the latest research yet, we can't take it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much to do when starting from scratch! We've been here 10 years and there's still so much to get done! Our neighbours who have probably owned their land, a year before us, just sold their house. They were building a dam beforehand though! Just know, no matter how long you're at it - you're still in good company, feeling like it's never going to end, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do often have to remind myself, that the person with the most "to-do" items ticked off their list, does not win in the end. It is time with family that must always take precedence.

      Delete
  8. I love a good spring spruce-up. Makes my heart sing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Or maybe it's the radio I must crank up loudly. I work best to some good Stones music.

      Delete
  9. Seems like household projects never end which makes us glad that we are now house-less. of course, we did enjoy working on our house and then seeing the results, it's just that no sooner had we finished one project then we would find another one to do, a never-ending cycle. Looks like you are making great progress on our indoor renovations and recycled anything is always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recently I've been helping an elderly family member (she's 81) find new housing. I've had definite apartment envy at times. No maintenance, no yard to mow or garden to weed. But then I spot our quiet little pond filled with musical frogs, and the envy passes.

      Delete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.